Saturday, January 29, 2011

I Lost...Again

I've had trouble the last couple of days with where I want the 2nd & 3rd chapters to go in my current manuscript.  At first, I thought the problem was that I used the wrong character's point of view.  So I wrote the same scene again, from the "right" person's POV.  It still didn't feel right and it was too easy to walk away from the whole thing.  Then I thought maybe I needed a break since I've been working on it straight for a while.  So I didn't write after my 2 1/2 pages yesterday afternoon.  And today I thought about working on something different, but the problem with my latest suspense wouldn't go away.

Finally, after critiquing with some of my Austin RWA sisters today and reading a lot, I realized that things weren't working because I, the author, was trying to write the story instead of letting my characters tell their story.  I was trying to make 2 scenes work when I didn't like them and I knew my heroine wouldn't approve of what I was trying to do.

So, I got smart and decided to shut my mouth and listen to my character.

No comments:

Post a Comment