Monday, May 2, 2011

Layering

A friend of mine talked recently about how she wanted to layer in "stuff" so that each of her scenes does more than one thing.  I thought that was a great idea.  For her. 

Lately I've been getting some stuff done on Lies but not enough to satisfy me.  I had this one particular scene (scene A) that was pivotal to the external plot, but I've been dragging my feet on writing it and I couldn't figure out why.  It didn't feel special.  I didn't have anything but dialogue and I didn't know what else to put in the scene. 

Yesterday I decided that an important scene to the hero and heroine's emotional/romantic arch (scene B) needed to happen sooner rather than later in the book.  It needed to happen before scene A.  I, as a person, wasn't really happy with that decision, but I, as the writer, did it to see what would happen.   (After all, I always save my previous drafts so I could delete it and go back to the original if it didn't work.)

Today, after a really crappy substitute teaching job, I brainstormed how moving scene B would change scene A and the rest of the book.  You know what?  It's perfect!  It adds in another layer of "stuff" for the reader to dissect and chew on and makes both the suspense and romance plots so much richer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment