Friday, January 6, 2012

Lessons From The Voices In My Head

So, I'm still on the rough draft of my latest Scottish novella and I've been struggling with it for the last few days. It's good so far, but something was missing. Today I figured out why.

As I drive around town, I often hear Without You by David Guetta with Usher. I LOVE THIS SONG. When I first heard it I was working on one of my bounty hunter stories and it instantly became the "theme song" for the hero and heroine of a future story, a story that is currently scheduled to be written during NaNoWriMo 2012. Every single time I hear it I get a rush as I think of that couple, of the explosive chemistry I'll be able to explore later this year. And I always smile.
Today, as I came home from the day job, the song came on and it finally hit me. My Scottish novella isn't working because there's no chemistry between the characters. It's a great story and the characters are interesting, but there are no sparks between them. Obviously THAT'S not going to work for me writing a ROMANTIC suspense! So, this weekend I'll be hunting for new characters to complete the kick-ass story!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck! It's always fun trying to figure out these voices in our heads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Diana! I'm hoping this weekend I'll discover who the real characters are and what's happening!

    ReplyDelete