Thursday, February 16, 2012

My Longer Retreat Review & Other Stuff




Okay, so I lied when I said I would post on Monday night. Sorry, but I've got lots of stuff going on!

My retreat weekend was wonderful and relaxing and beautiful. I got the 4th draft of Fractured Paradise done, got to know/visit with some of my fellow Austin RWA members and was thrilled to do nothing but write. The retreat is usually 2 nights. I wasn't going to be able to go at all due to my financial situation, but I won a free night through a raffle.



I got up and drove the hour and a half out to our location early Saturday morning. Things were already in full swing, with lots of people writing, when I arrived. Of course, I set my computer up, put my earbuds in and started working. BUT, I am a sucker for a good conversation and soon I was having a great chat with Jax Garren, another author who recently sold her 1st novella. We chatted about our novella plans, what we've learned so far, and how we're feeling. We also compared notes on our epublishers. Thanks, JC! Then it really was time to get busy. I stopped a few times for a quick break and a cookie (or two), but altogether I wrote for about 10 hours on Saturday.
When I couldn't write anything more, I went out to the "talking zone," grabbed a glass of wine, and joined the lively conversation. When my eyes started to droop, I called it a night.


Sunday morning I woke up ready to tackle the ending of the book. After breakfast with those who stayed, I got back to work and finished the draft. I was soooooooo excited! I considered doing a happy dance, but my limbs were stiff from sitting so long. So I settled for loading up my car at about 4pm, and I headed home.

When I got home, I was so "in" the story, I decided to start drafting my blurb for the book. Surprisingly, it came to me pretty easily. (My CPs have also said it was a good job!)


Now, the plan had been to complete the 5th draft before Tuesday, read the entire thing for last minute changes, and then submit it today. Of course, that didn't happen. Why? Because of my "irons in the fire" from one of last week's post. But that's info for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment