Sunday, February 5, 2012

Ooops, I Did It Again

Somewhere around 2001: I wrote 150 pages of a romantic suspense and realized something wasn't right. I liked my supposed villain way more than my hero. And the hero and heroine had little chemistry. So I revised the 150 pages with the original villain as the hero and the original hero as his sidekick (who would get his own story later). It was painful, especially after 150 pages, but once I made the change the characters sparkled.

November 2010: I was working on NaNoWriMo, writing my 1st ever bounty hunter story. I'd reluctantly started watching Dog the Bounty Hunter to see what the lifestyle was like. My hero and heroine were both great people, I eeked out 50,000 words and a lot of blood, sweat and tears. In the end, I realizd the hero and heroine were wrong for each other. The hero was the wrong guy. He was the brother of the correct hero. After NaNo, I revised with the correct brother and the couple exploded on the page. I LOVED the revising and it became one of my strongest full-length books.

November 2011: I started NaNoWriMo with my 2nd bounty hunter story and an AWESOME couple. (Yes, I'm still a Dog the Bounty Hunter fan!) I got through 50,000 words after some difficulty (some "real life", some writing-related). I liked the characters, loved the premise, but the spark wasn't there. No true chemistry. Over the last few days I started thinking, "Maybe the correct hero is one of the brothers." (I had a specific one in mind. There are 4 boys and a girl in the family.) I haven't gotten back to revising it yet mainly because I'm knee-deep in the novellas, but already the choice to change the hero feels right.

Now, the real question is, when I write the 2012 NaNoWriMo manuscript, will I switch the brothers again or will I learn my lesson and make necessary changes BEFORE writing the rough draft??? Is there ANY hope for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment